With 3Dprinting, why do we need variations of CNC machinery?

Thread: With 3Dprinting, why do we need variations of CNC machinery?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default With 3Dprinting, why do we need variations of CNC machinery?

It seems additive layer manufacturing comes in laser to metal format,
    if so, acquring just one of these machines (although I realize at a ridiculously high price)
    covers all the functionalities of many variations of CNC machines. (like mills, lathes, routers etc, of which I assume there are limitations on angular production)

Will this not cut the learning curve and rapid prototyping time significantly?

Or is there limitations in these type of rapid prototyping machines as well do you think?
    I just think, learning and using many different machines these days on manufacturing is quickly becoming obsolete. What do you think? Is CNC still a must?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When the time comes that we can 3D print all of the 1000's of alloys in a single crystal with the grain structure of the metal optimized for the job, or plastics like delrin, Teflon or the countless other high tech polymers as a single molecule with all it's strength intact, maybe.

For now it's a cheap way to make one off or small run parts from plastic, impossible shapes to machine with normal methods as paperweights, and an expensive and slow way to make things from metal.

Sent from tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Maluseth

There are very few limitations for these machines, they are just as you say, great for rapid prototyping, 3D printing has it's place in machine shops, hobby shops & many other places, it's just another machine, CNC machines will not be going away any time soon, the 3D printer does not replace a CNC machine, they have a long way to go before that would happen

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

3d printing in metal can be much faster than machining, can make much more complex shapes, with good resolution, and multitudes of metal alloys. It's very expensive, and will still require some machining on some parts. Fusing types can reach 90-95% strength ratio to billet. They however are not good for mass production of parts because of the powder price as of todays market.

Downloads
    Uploads

Although SOME materials reach the 90-95% mark, it is far from being universal. Some steels, stainless steels, etc are there now, but very few other materials are to that point. For instance, try finding anything 3d printed to material properties matching 7075 or 2024 aluminum. The aluminum 3d printed pieces now are of good casting quality material properties, but nowhere near the properties of the more exotic aluminum alloys. Sure you can print a part and say it is within 90 to 95 percent of the material properties of Alloy X. It is a far different thing to have someone come to you and say I want a part 3d printed with alloy Y and be able to actually do it. The tech may get there, but it isn't yet and the cost is still too prohibitive for most things.

Downloads
    Uploads

Actually, not true. Loads of new materials available, some very exotic, some never made before. Aluminum and titanium both are in the 90-95%, and even used in formula 1 racing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Actually, the tech is there now. Some of the REALLY exotic materials are being produced as we type, some that have never been done before, including binaries. Cost is really high for all the powders, some is crazy expensive. I personally see the parts that come off these things every day, it's quite amazing, and I've been in machining for 30 years.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

These days, the first thing I have to ask is, who owns the process patents, and how evil are they? It doesn't matter if the process exists to print indestructible turbine fan stages out of fairy crystal, if nobody can afford the machines to do it.

Luke

"All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Downloads
    Uploads

Lots of metals are available, but not even close to the number that are available commercially in billet, forged or other readily available forms. It doesn't matter if there are 1,000 materials available if the one needed isn't available. Show me one source that says 7075-T6 or 2024-T3 material properties can be done right now today in a commercial process. I mean all material properties (density, Tensile, yield. modulus ...). Just one source anywhere. You absolutely won't find it because it hasn't been done yet. Yes it is impressive and yes they are making strides but TODAY many limitations exist and those limitations include material properties among other limitations. Some materials they have a better handle on such as the steels, titaniums, stainless, that I mentioned before, but other materials are not as far along. Just because parts from the process are used in an industry (Formula I) doesn't necessarily impress me. Many parts in many venues are simply way stronger than necessary simply due to things things like minimum practical material thickness, or impact resistance. This could allow for a substitution of lower property material without sacrificing performance, weight, or anything. This was true in the military aviation arena that I worked in as an engineer and is true in just about everything. There are some cases where 3d printing makes perfect sense, but the vast majority of parts needed today for manufacturing are simply not even remotely practical from 3D metal printing. At least not yet. You said aluminums and titaniums are both 90-95%, but you didn't say to what alloys. There are many alloys of both titanium and aluminum and without referencing what alloy the comparison is made to is not very informative. It is quite a different thing to say for example that it has 90 to 95% of the material properties of 3003-H14 aluminum (23ksi UTS) than to say it has 90 to 95% of the material properties of 7075-t6 aluminum (83ksi UTS). Both are aluminum and both have very different material properties. If you are trying to say that they can achieve 90 to 95% material properties of ANY aluminum alloy I have to say that is a pipe dream right now.